Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reading Reaction Chapter 7

According to Dabbagh & Bannan-Ritland "evaluation has been characterized as a process used to judge the "worthwhileness" of something in order to make decisions" (2005). In evaluating online learning environments it is important to not only consider the effectiveness, or "worthwhileness", of the learning environment, but also consider the learning that takes place in the environment. In my example of a WebQuest about the Modern Era of history and literature, I would use the evaluation to determine if my students understand the link between historical events and literature, and to determine the effectiveness of the online learning environment (the WebQuest) and to note areas in need of improvement. To reach this goal I would use a variety of evaluation methods. The first would be an exit survey given to students to get feedback on the functionality of the WebQuest. The second method would be the final time-capsule project. The third method would be a short essay response at the end of the entire unit asking students to explain how the historical events of the Modern Era influenced the literature. The results of these methods of evaluation would allow me to determine areas of need in terms of the use of the WebQuest; they would allow me to determine how well students understand the link between history and literature given the opportunity to explore via online learning.

I believe that my evaluations would address Kirkpatrick's Levels 1, 2, and 4. The survey would fall under Level 1 - Reaction allowing students to provide feedback about their online learning experience. The time capsule and the essay piece would cover Levels 2 and 4 by allowing students to demonstrate their gain in knowledge as well as display their final results.

4 comments:

Richard DeVries said...

Christine;
Great Job on the Web Quest. Isn't it amazing what the students can experience and learn with the advent of high-speed internet. We can't function w/o it anymore. Your ideas on evalation are sound as well. I would consider your project "worthwhile" for sure. But, it is a good idea to get feedback and revise as you suggest!
-Richard DeVries (Group C)

Unknown said...

WebQuest sounds amazing. Your blog was interesting and well organized.

Nancy Henderson, Group C

More to come said...

I like your WebQuest activity. Considering your lack of ethnic and abundance of economic diversity, I think it is a great idea to research the historical background of The Modern Era of U.S. History prior to studying the literature of the time period. By doing so, this defiantly helps put the author’s purpose into perspective. A WebQuest is a perfect canvas for such an activity. Also, in your review, the use of an exit survey for the students to get feedback on the functionality of the WebQuest is a great tool for their understanding.

Ryan

KBS said...

Very good sounding lesson! I am curious about how you would administer the survey to assess the lesson? I have used several of the free online survey services but am always looking for new services and would welcome any suggestions.